16 Ways to Have More Fun Today!
Whenever my kids or my husband walk out the door, I almost always say, “Have fun!” (That may stem from many trips to the local amusement park) It doesn’t matter if they are going to have a root canal, or take a really difficult test, I think we should always have more fun today.
Having fun isn’t just for playtime or for kids. Having fun is essential to your health and well being at any age. When you are enjoying yourself, you are also reduce stress, increasing energy, building stronger relationships, and learning more…. mostly about how boring you are right now. Be proud of your decision to goof off on a regular basis. Take a look at these ideas to help you have more fun today and every day.
Change Your Perspective:
1. Prioritize fun. Do you put off taking a break because you think you have too many responsibilities? Studies show that frequent breaks actually help you to accomplish more. Make those breaks fun! Have a dance party.
2. Enjoy the small things in life. Having fun doesn’t have to consume a lot of time or money. Watching cartoons with your kids or jumping through a puddle can brighten your day without using up any savings or vacation days.
3. Look at the silver lining. Maybe housework and boring meetings make it difficult for you to smile. Try to find a positive aspect to any situation. Do lunges while you vacuum and sit next to a colleague who makes you laugh.
4. Be spontaneous. Advance planning is optional. Sometimes it’s more amusing to surprise yourself.
5. Lighten up. If you’re concerned about looking mature and professional, keep in mind that others may like you more if you’re brave enough to show a little vulnerability. It may even help them to feel free to do the same. That could be hilarious.
Change Your Routine:
1. Listen to music. Your favorite songs can put you in a better mood. Cue up some ukulele music or the soundtrack from a funny movie. It’s ok to jam at a stop light while you are in your car. Now when was the last time you saw a grown up playing air guitar at a stop light? It is so much fun!
2. Use your imagination. Indulge your creativity. Doodle on a piece of paper, do a safe science experiment in your kitchen, or build a fort out of blankets and pillows.
3. Play games. Whether you prefer video games or board games, this will be fun and can have important cognitive benefits. You may be increasing your hand-to-eye coordination, learning to solve problems, and boosting your memory. This is one of my favorite games of all time.
4. Collect toys. Surround yourself with objects that remind you to fool around. Keep windup figures on your desk at work and stuffed animals on your bed at home. Here is a super fun tin can robot
5. Browse online. Your computer isn’t just for word processing and spreadsheets. Bookmark websites that make you laugh or feel happy. Maybe videos of babies and kittens or interviews with actors and musicians are your idea of entertainment.
6. Move around. Active fun burns calories while you’re enjoying yourself. Dance at home or play a pickup game of basketball with work buddies.
7. Plan an outing. Make your weekends and vacation days more refreshing. Research interesting destinations to visit like strange museums and obscure monuments. Make a list of local places where you can sing karaoke, rent a kayak, or play miniature golf. You should know that I am an avid karaoke goer.
8. Have a laugh. Humor is healing. Tell your family amusing stories about what happened at work. Read a comic book or remember a time when you did something silly.
9. Revisit your childhood. If you’re trying to come up with more ideas for having fun, explore your distant past. Think about what you liked to do as a child. You may find that climbing trees or baking cookies with your mother is still super fun.
10. Break your own rules. Be willing to take a chance and go beyond your own boundaries. Don’t break the law or anything, you can have fun legally. But go out on a limb. Sign up for burlesque dancing instead of your usual spin class.
11. Share the fun. Double your fun by sharing it with friends or family members. Positive experiences and fond memories will draw you closer together. Be serious and have more fun today and every day. Taking time out to play enriches your life and increases your productivity. Treat yourself to a fabulous time at least once a day. Here is a page that will give you some family fun night ideas.
You should want to have a fabulous day every day!
GET FREE ACCESS TO OUR LIBRARY OF FREE PRINTABLES AND RESOURCES!
Enter Your Name and Email for FREE Access to our Library of FREE Home and Family Printables Series!