100 Ways to Have Fun with the Family for Cheap or FREE
Here are 100 ways to have fun with the family for cheap of free. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to find ways to have fun with the family. With our busy lives, sometimes it is momentous just to get together. Invite the aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents along to make it even more fun.
1. Play soccer or make up your own rules and have fun with it
2. Go on a hike. Explore a place that you have never been before. You will be surprised at the beauty of the world right outside your door.
3. Have a reading marathon. Pick one up at the library or from your own library. Talk with the family about the book and why you like it.
4. Write stories together. It is fun to have one member of the family start a story and then the next member add to it, or simply brainstorm different scenarios.
5. Play board games. Make up your own rules or put a twist on the rules already part of the game.
6. Paint or draw together. Put up a picture or object like a potted plant and see what kinds of variations each person can come up with for the same object.
7. Play kickball. It is fun to go around the bases the other direction.
8. Create a fort in your living room or family room out of blankets and pillows.
9. Have a sunset picnic at the park, beach or lake.
10. Try a sunrise breakfast. Get up early, pack some breakfast food and watch the sunrise.
11. Go to a museum. Learn about the history of where you live.
12. Go to a playground. Play on the swings, slide and merry-go-round. Many parks have splash pads.
13. Ride bikes. Pack a lunch and make it an event.
14. Get out an old DVD and watch it while you make popcorn
15. Play hide-and-seek. Inside and outside are fun.
16. Have a pillow fight.
17. Build sandcastles. When there is snow, build a snowman or snow castle.
18. Tell stories about each member of the family. Or stories from when you were little.
19. Have a scavenger hunt. Put word cards in a box of random items like (toothpick) and go around to various neighbors looking for those items.
20. Play a card game. Explore different ways to play a your favorites.
21. Make mazes or puzzles for each person to solve.
22. Plant a garden together. Or simply each person plants a seed and watch them all grow to a flower (sunflowers are my favorite)
23. Bake cookies together and eat them or share them with a neighbor.
24. Go to the zoo. Some zoos have free days. Look for those and plan an outing.
25. Go to the library. Explore different sections of the library and check out a book or two.
26. Shop at a thrift store. Find vases, cans or other items to decorate for the holidays.
27. Create a blog together. Make it a family blog
28. Make play dough from scratch and create different animals, or items
29. Make a scrapbook of a recent camping or road trip.
30. Make a movie using a camcorder and computer. Have a movie premier and eat popcorn.
31. Make instruments out of household items and have a talent show.
32. Finger paint. Use different items like pudding.
33. Make homemade pizza or make mini pizzas with your favorite toppings.
34. Buy ice cream and create Sundays or banana splits.
35. Make T-shirts with your hand prints.
36. Make some lemonade, Set up a hammock or lay on some blankets and chill outside.
37. Visit a family member you haven’t seen for a while. Bring them a treat.
38. Go to the neighborhood pool or recreation center.
39. Go to a public place like the mall and people watch. It is fun to make up stories about the people you see
40. Write letters to family members you haven’t seen for a while. (Like cousins who live out of state)
41. Decorate the playroom or kids’ bedrooms with framed homemade paintings they drew.
42. Make root beer floats. Or use a variety of soda like orange, pineapple or a cola.
43. Decorate a pair of jeans. Use bedazzled jewels or paint.
44. Play freeze tag. Change up the rules to add variety.
45. Create a treasure hunt, leaving the next clue around the house or yard.
46. Do a science experiment. Find some simple experiments online.
47. Teach the kids to play checkers or chess.
48. Play video games that the whole family can play, or take turns playing.
49. Learn magic tricks and perform them for other family members.
50. Create a family memory book. Include pictures and information about each family member.
51. Go to the park or open area and fly kites.
52. Go snorkeling. If you aren’t near an ocean, you can dive for objects in a shallow pool.
53. Have a barbecue. Invite extended family or neighbors.
54. Collect items from your house or neighborhood and donate them to charity.
55. Volunteer at a food bank or homeless shelter. Look for local service opportunities.
56. Compete in a three-legged or other race.
57. Set up a tent and sleep outside in the backyard.
58. Create an obstacle course using chairs, cardboard boxes and other items.
59. Roast marshmallows or make Smores.
60. Play loud music and have a crazy dance party.
61. Write and perform a play for other family members or reenact a favorite scene from a movie
62. Paint your own face or each other’s faces. Make it a contest.
63. Make a bunch of water balloons and play different games using them.
64. Make a target and use foam dart guns to hit the target.
65. Explore your yard or neighborhood and look for bugs.
66. Go for a walk and explore an area in your city or town that you haven’t been.
67. Go for a speed walk or walk run.
68. Take pictures of nature and make a scrapbook or scrapbook page about it.
69. Play a trivia game. Find weird trivia questions and see if your family can guess the answers.
70. Make up a trivia game about people in your family.
71. Make hot cocoa and add tiny marshmallows and crushed candy canes for a fun texture and taste.
72. Make decorations and use them to decorate your house.
73. Play house with parents roll playing the kids and the kids roll playing the parents.
74. Play school with the kids playing the teacher and parents playing the students.
75. Make smoothies or fun drinks or popsicles.
76. Have a puppet show using shadow puppets.
77. Make a comic book or comic strip with each family member coming up with their own characters.
78. Make your own bubbles and blow them around the yard or use store bought bubbles.
79. Play in the rain and splash in the puddles.
80. Make mud pies and include sticks and leaves.
81. Find tongue twisters online and take turns saying them.
82. Sing songs or make up words to tunes that you already know.
83. Build Lego cities.
84. Tell ghost stories in the dark with a flashlight.
85. Give service to a neighbor or family member.
86. Play with squirt guns or water guns.
87. Watch funny pet videos on YouTube.
88. Play wiffleball. Change up the rules to make it more interesting.
89. Play Ultimate Frisbee
90. Play basketball.
91. Build a rocket ship or car from a kit.
92. Take up a new hobby as a family like photography or crossword puzzles.
93. Bake a cake and decorate it.
94. Play dress-up. Find fun hats and have a tea party with punch and cookies.
95. Memorize something as a family like a song or poem.
96. Make a castle using graham crackers and frosting.
97. Learn some jokes or make up your own and share them with the family.
98. Walk barefoot in the park and look for flowers or insects.
99. Build paper airplanes and have a flying contest.
100. Play outdoor games like capture the flag.
So there you have it! Let us know by commenting below ways to have fun with the family that you have experienced with your family.
Pin it for Later
GET FREE ACCESS TO OUR LIBRARY OF FREE PRINTABLES AND RESOURCES!
Enter Your Name and Email for FREE Access to our Library of FREE Home and Family Printables Series!