3 Ways to Encourage Your Kids to Help With Spring Cleaning
Spring cleaning is an annual task that most families dread. Fortunately, spring can be the perfect time to get your kids out of that hibernating state that winter tends to bring. You can encourage your kids to help with spring cleaning to get them moving and of course, help you out. Your kids can develop a good work ethic and you can get some extra hands for the job.
Try these ideas to encourage your kids to help with spring cleaning efforts and teach them the importance of hard work:
- Make it an Easter Egg Hunt. It would be wrong to enlist the help of your kids on Easter Sunday. However, you can use the days prior to Easter or the days after Easter to entice them into spring cleaning by playing an Easter themed game.
• Hide a few plastic Easter eggs filled with candy under piles of clothes and shoe boxes in their closets and tell them that if they can neatly pass folded clothes to you to put into the storage bins, they’ll find a surprise to munch on.
• Hide more eggs around the house or yard for them to find while they are cleaning out a flower bed, or decluttering cabinets, drawers and toy boxes.
• To your kids, it will be an Easter egg hunt. To you, it’ll be a way to start a new spring cleaning tradition. You will want to make sure that all the candy is accounted for, unless you want to find candy during your next big cleaning day.
- 2. Be honest. Older children, especially teens, won’t be tempted by Easter eggs (unless they are filled with money). Rather than dressing the day up as an Easter egg hunt, be honest. Tell the older kids that you need help getting some spring cleaning done and offer a fun ending to your busy day of cleaning.
• Offer to end the day by getting their choice of takeout and renting a movie of their choosing. Not only will this give your family time to bond, but you’ll also get some spring cleaning done. This is a win win situation!
• Refrain from approaching your teens the day of your spring cleaning. They may already have plans. Approach them a few days in advance and set up a day that is convenient for everyone in the family. For busy teens, tt may work better to encourage your kids to help with spring cleaning for a couple of hours over several days.
• Older children can handle bigger jobs. It’s best to let them choose a task (from a list that you’ve created) and tackle it on their own. By doing so, they’ll feel as if they had a say in the task at hand.
- 3. Rewards. Kids of all ages respond well to rewards. As mentioned above, candy filled eggs, or a favorite meal out will help entice your kids into spring cleaning. However, a larger reward will have your kids jumping for joy on the day of your spring cleaning adventure.
• Offer to purchase your child a game for their gaming system if they help you spring clean the house and keep their room clean for the next month.
• Sweeten the deal by offering them a subscription to GameFly, a game delivery service which operates much like Netflix. Offer the subscription in exchange for spring cleaning, and offer to keep the subscription active as long as their room is kept tidy and their chores are done.Click Here to enter your GameFly coupon code. Use code TENDAY to Receive 10 Day Free Trial.
• Offer to take your kids to their favorite amusement park or play place for completing the big chore of spring cleaning.
• Plan a family fun day where you go to the movies, a park, a favorite restaurant or all of them. Let your kids choose what they get to do on this special day.
Remember, there’s a difference between bribing and incentivizing. Incentivizing consists of providing a reward as motivation for completing a task that benefits the family.
Kids respond well to all types of rewards and only you can judge what rewards will properly motivate yours. Treat your kids to a reward and earn yourself an extra set of hands for spring cleaning.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if a reader clicks on a link and makes a purchase, we may get a small commission. This helps our business continue to provide you with valuable information and free stuff. So thank you for supporting our website.
GET FREE ACCESS TO OUR LIBRARY OF FREE PRINTABLES AND RESOURCES!
Enter Your Name and Email for FREE Access to our Library of FREE Home and Family Printables Series!