With busy moms trying to balance the many areas of your life, reduce stress, and get everything done, here are some time management tips for working moms or busy stay at home moms.
General Time Management Tips for Working Moms and Stay at Home Moms
– Make a plan every evening. When you plan your day the night before, it will be less stressful than planning in the morning when you may be rushed.
– Prioritize your to do list. Schedule and do the most important things first.
– Don’t beat yourself up because you didn’t get a load of laundry done.
– Keep your to do list close by. There are many to do list apps for your electronic devices, but there is no substitute for paper and pen to keep track of your to do lists. Index cards work great for keeping in your pocket or a small notebook can easily fit in your purse.
– Be flexible – Important things may come up like a sick child needs to be picked up from school or last minute dinner plans. Don’t make your schedule so tight that you can’t make anything work.
– Daily reflection – Each evening, reflect on the things that went well today.
Make Time for Your Spouse
– Get away at least once a week without the kids. It could be something as simple as getting an ice cream together. One on one time is extremely important.
– Share responsibilities. The load of laundry that you didn’t get to can be done by your spouse. Don’t forget to show gratitude for your spouse every day.
– Every day at work, e-mail, phone, or text your spouse. This could be a great opportunity to show gratitude.
– Make time together at home by making dinner together or working in the garden.
– Spend time together after putting young kids to bed.
Make Time for Your Children
– Establish time for your children every day. With busy older kids who work and go to school, it could be simply talking with them when making breakfast or when seeing them off to school or work.
– Pay close attention to your children’s needs. Let them know that they are an important part of the family and their opinion is important.
– Set limits with electronic devices and other electronics that take away from family time.
– When possible make sure that everyone is present for dinner.
– Take turns with your spouse for morning tasks and bedtime routines for the kids
– Take time to play! Here is a post for the benefits of family fun night
Sign up below to get access to our FREE Printable Family Fun Night Activities as well as all of our FREE Printables
Make Time in Your Kid’s Extracurricular Activities
– Always have a Plan B. Sometimes you and your spouse will have to divide and conquer when taking kids to activities.
– Don’t waste time when waiting at your kids’ events. Use that time to be present with your other kids. If you are alone, write a “thank you” note to the team mom, coach or teacher.
– Alternate extracurricular activity attendance with your spouse. You’ll save time and stay connected with your children.
Make Time for “Me” Time
– Get up 30 minutes earlier than the rest of the household to do what you love before anyone wakes up.
– Leave home earlier if possible to listen to a great audio book or go for a run.
– Meet friends or family after work for engaging conversation.
How to Get Out of the House on Time in the Mornings
1. Getting Yourself Ready for Work
– Have an area in your closet just for work clothes. Coordinate clothes by type and color.
– Have your clothes ready the night before.
– Designate a space to store items so that in the morning you can “grab and go”. We call it a launch pad. Everything you need to take with you the next day is here ready to go.
2. Helping Your Family Prepare for Their Day
– Sign papers, do homework and put everything in backpacks and put by the door or a designated spot in the evenings.
– Have the family help prepare lunches the night before.
– Have the kids pick out their clothes ahead of time. Sometimes even have them chose an outfit for the entire week.
– Set alarms 15 earlier or wake the kids up 15 minutes earlier if kids struggle to get out of bed in a timely manner.
– If possible enjoy your breakfast together.
Manage Meal Planning
1. Using a Meal Planner and Grocery List
– Download the Meal Planner and Grocery List- click the box below for a free printable of our meal planner and grocery list as well as get access to all of our free printables.
– Create a weekly meal plan with a number of simple meals along with their grocery lists
Share in the meal planning and grocery shopping with your spouse.
– Place a copy of your meal plan in a convenient location such as on your refrigerator or wall calendar as well as on your computer and Smartphone
– Consult your meal planner when grocery-shopping
2. Meal Preparation
– Plan ahead. Make simpler meals or thaw freezer meals on your extra busy days. Make tomorrow’s salad today to save time if you know tomorrow is going to be a busy time.
– Consider doubling your recipe for tonight and then freeze half for a future dinner.
– Prepare meals together as a family or as a couple to spend more time together.
1. Daily cleaning and organizing
– Set a timer for 15 minutes to declutter and go through spots where mail, garbage and other items get dumped each day.
– Give each child a basket or box. Have them walk through the house and put items that belong to them in the basket to put away.
– Make a game with your kids to race to pick up messes left while playing with games and toys. Here is a post on how to motivate your kids to help out and get things done.
– Divide your house in 5 sections and each day spend 15 minutes dusting or deep cleaning that section of the house. Get your children involved.
2. Divide and spread larger household tasks over time
– For example:
o Mondays, family fun night – Here is a post showing the benefits of family fun night.
o Tuesdays, office work, pay bills, write “thank you” cards
o Wednesdays, run errands day
o Thursdays, clean out the refrigerator
o Fridays, clean out and wash vehicles
o Saturdays, do laundry
Unwind, Rest and Get Enough Sleep
– Fit in some me-time writing in a journal.
– Compliment your efforts of the day – write down things that worked today and prepare a to do list for tomorrow.
– Take time to read and converse with your partner
With these simple time management tips for working moms and busy stay at home moms, you may be able to take a breather and take note that you are doing a great job.
GET FREE ACCESS TO OUR LIBRARY OF FREE PRINTABLES AND RESOURCES!
Enter Your Name and Email for FREE Access to our Library of FREE Home and Family Printables Series!