Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I may get a small commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
We have come up with these game night ideas to help you connect with family and friends. We all need to connect with our families and friends. What better way to make lasting connections that with a game night.
3 Minute to Win It Games/Challenge Games
Minute to win it game night ideas are the best when it comes to fast paced fun. The excitement goes on and on when family or friends get together for a 1 minute thrill after another. Here are some super fun ways to play minute to win it games. These are some of our favorite family fun activities!
- Beat That – These fast paced game night ideas has 160 challenges! There are solo challenges, buddy challenges and duels. This family game night idea is great for ages 9 and up. This game includes: 160 challenge cards, 80 betting tokens, 5 balls,10 cups, 4 dice, chopsticks, tape measure, sand timer and memo pad.
- Wow OK – 168 incredibly simple party games night ideas that are fun at any age. This super fun game for family night or with a bunch of friends include the simple challenges of bounce, stack, kick, roll, flip, hop, and hit. These go-to games and activities are bound to keep you partying all year. This game includes 168 challenge cards, 80 betting tokens, 10 balls, 10 cups, 2 chopsticks, 10 dice, 1 tape measure, 1 memo pad, and 2 sand timers.
- Gamie Stacking Cups Game – With 54 Challenges, these game night ideas are going to keep the fun going for hours. This super fun game includes 20 stacking cups, a bell and easy to follow instruction sheet – This game is educational as well with a color and shape matching game and classic quick stacks set for boys, girls, teens, and adults.
14 Board Games for the Whole Family
Board Games and a staple of game night ideas. We have listed some of the tried and true games as well as some newer gems. Want a family fun night you won’t forget? Try these fun board games and connect with the family.
- Sorry – Do you remember playing the game Sorry! when you were growing up? Bring back great memories playing it again with family members and introduce it to a new generation. The Sorry! Game has been known as the game of “sweet revenge”. Players can send each other’s pawns back to start. It’s a favorite of so many!
- The Game of Life – Life is always full of adventures! In this edition of Life, This edition of the Life, there are 115 cards offering exciting choices as each player moves through the twists and turns of life. This game is great for players 8 and up.
- Clue – This is a great mystery game of whodunit. The player who correctly accuses Who, What, and Where wins! Great for 6 players ages 8 and up.
- Operation Players get to be “the doctor” and make Cavity Sam better or get buzzed. Easy-grab ailment pieces and large openings help make gameplay fun for kids to adults ages 6 and up.
- Chinese Checkers – Chinese Checkers is a fun game to play with 2 to 6 players at the same time. There are some different ways to play the game, making one of the best game night ideas for home and a great class game for school.
- Rummikub – In this fun and fast paced game, players take turns placing numbered tiles in runs or groups, Rummy style – the first player to use all of their tiles wins. It’s the perfect game for the entire family.
- Herd Mentality – This game is “udderly addictive”! Flip over a question, grab a pencil and follow the crowd in this family strategy board game. If you are the odd one, then you get the pink cow. Moo ve it to someone else to keep from losing.
- Pun Intended – Pun Intended is for pun-loving people everywhere! These puns are silly, witty, clever, painful at times, and sometimes downright stupid. This game includes 1332 puns on 222 cards, pencil, score card, 1-minute timer, and easy to follow rules.
- 5 Second Rule – Pick a card, read the seemingly easy topic, then start the timer! Now with only 5 seconds to name 3 things that fit the topic…can you do it? Bring your family together with this fun game night idea and find out.
- Qwirkle – Qwirkle is great for families with younger players. The rules of the game are basic: Simply build lines by matching tiles based on either color or shape, and score points for doing so.
- Pictionary – Pictionary is a quick drawing board game great for families, kids, teens and adults. This game includes a dry erase board, markers and clue cards with a super unique catch-all category.
- Yahtzee – Take turns rolling dice to try to score combos. This game includes 5 dice a shaker that doubles as storage for easy clean up and travel.
- Ticket to Ride – Ticket to Ride is a cross-country train adventure game in which players collect and play matching train cards to claim railway routes connecting cities through North America! Perfect for 2 to 5 players.
14. Trivial Pursuit – With cards for kids and adults, the whole family can get a kick out of this fun-filled Family Edition of Trivial Pursuit! Family members of all ages can test their smarts with question after question in 6 categories. The game’s fresh questions and faster pace make for quick-play trivia.
8 Board Games for Kids
We have come up with 8 great game night ideas for kids. Sometimes kids just want to play games with other kids. These are great for school as well.
1. Candy Land – Players travel down the “magical” road to sweet surprises! This version of the classic Candy Land game includes gingerbread men mover pieces, colored cards, and sweet illustrations, with tasty destinations like Cookie Commons and Chocolate Mountain. Players choose a card, move their pawn, and make their way to the castle. This game is perfect for 2 to 4 players.
2. Mouse Trap – Snap the trap and win at Mousetrap! Players scurry and scamper until someone gets caught. If you’re the first to trap a mouse, you win!
3. Connect 4 – You and a friend choose the gold discs or the red discs and drop them into the grid. When you get 4 discs in a row, you win. It’s simple, fast, and fun. Master the grid!
4. Hungry Hippo – You’ll have a chompin’ good time with this fun game. Once you release the marbles, the feeding frenzy begins! You’ll need to move fast to get more marbles than the other players to win the game.
5. Hi Ho Cherry-O – Take turns picking pretend cherries, blueberries and apples from your tree and the put them in the basket. Be the first to pick all the fruit from your tree and you win!
6. Zingo – It’s a fun pre-reading game for ages 4 and up. Zingo is built to develop critical thinking skills and makes for a fun and challenging activity. Playing will improve language skills through fun and fast paced play.
7. Chutes and Ladders – Climb up and slide down in the exciting game of ups and downs. Players can see the square marked 100, but how will they get there? If a player lands their pawn on a good deed, they can shimmy up a ladder, but land on the wrong spot and they’ll shoot down a chute! No reading is required!
8. Perfection – This edition of the Perfection board game comes with 25 red and 25 yellow shapes, so 2 kids can play at once. Choose Duel mode and race against the other player to fit more shapes in their matching holes. But watch the timer! The player who matches the most shapes before time runs out wins.
7 Card Games for the Best Game Night EVER!
Card games are a great way to have family game night on the move. You can take them anywhere! Here are some of our favorites. You will be the favorite of the family for coming up with this family game night idea!
- Do You Really Know Your Family? – Get ready to compete against your family to see who really knows each other best. Learn about each other and build new family memories as you answer interesting questions, spark conversations and perform silly challenges together. This card game will surely become a family game night favorite!
- Uno – UNO is the card game that’s easy to pick up and impossible to put down! All it takes to win is some coordination between colors (red, green, blue, and yellow) and numbers. This fun family card game takes only minutes to learn and is so much fun to play!
- Kids Against Maturity – Each player gets 10 white answer cards and takes turns asking the blue question cards. Each question-asker chooses the funniest answer, and the player with the highest amount of most amusing responses, wins the game. Not recommended for humorless parents. 🙂
- Phase 10 – Be the first player to complete 10 varied phases to win the game. Each deck features “Wild” and Skip” cards, which add excitement. Phase 10 Includes 108 cards, instructions and tin.
5. Skipbo – Skip-bo is the ultimate sequence card game that combines skill, strategy and fun. The first player or team to use all the cards in their stack wins!
6. Rack-O – Players randomly slot ten cards on their rack. The race then begins to draw and discard until one player positions ten cards in numerical sequence. This fun game is great for ages 8 and up.
7. Rook – This brain-teasing Rook card game is a fast-moving game where you and your partner work together to beat your opponents to the tricks. But just when you think you’ve got it all together, the wild Rook can land and screw up all your plans!
4 Word Games that will Make You Think!
These are the best game night ideas for families who love building words. Here are four of our favorite word games. Maybe they are yours too.
- Scrabble – Scrabble, the classic crossword game, is full-on fun for friends and family. You can feel the excitement begin as soon as you rack up your letters, choose a great word, and hope to land on a triple-word score.
- Super Big Boggle – Super Big Boggle has a super sized grid including the new double letter cube and new blank cube. Includes 36 letter cubes and a 4 minute timer provides a fresh challenge with every game. Contains 36 letter cubes, and 4 minute sand timer.
- Quiddler – Because Quiddler is The SHORT Word Game, it attracts non-word-game players as well as people who love word games! The goal is to arrange all the cards in your hand into one or more words. It’s great for families and parties!
- Blank Slate – Blank Slate is the clever party game where you try to predict what others are thinking. Everyone secretly writes a word that completes a phrase on the cue card. In this fun, easy to learn board game you get to think outside the box, but not too far or you won’t match words with anyone. Player with the most points wins!
8 Party Games to Leave Lasting Memories
Every game night is a party with these keepers. Play them in teams, girls against the boys, or as couples. These are sure to create memories that will last for a long time.
- Jenga – Carefully pull a wood block out of the tower and place it on top. It’s easy at first, but as more blocks get pulled, the tower starts to get unsteady. Who will make the tower fall?
- Hedbanz – This is an exciting and fast paced game for the whole family. On your turn, flip over the timer and start asking yes/no questions to figure out the card shown in your headband!
- Telestrations – Telestrations will keep your family and friends entertained and laughing! Draw what you see then guess what you saw for hilarious and unpredictable outcomes.
- Guesstures – Act and guess as fast as you can in this hilarious, high-speed Guesstures game! All you have to do is pop four cards into the Action Timer, then set it and start acting fast! Easy cards are worth 1 point, Medium cards are worth 2, and Hard cards are worth 3. When the game’s over, will your team have enough points to win?
- Back & 4th – Back & 4th is like $25,000 Pyramid meets Catchphrase. Play with as few as 4 players, or as many as 10 or more. Each team starts with 1 minute on its timer. Players list things in categories to help their teammates guess the category listed on the card. Play continues furiously BACK & 4th until one team’s time runs out. Back & 4th includes 2 sand timers.
- Who’s Most Likely To… – Who’s Most Likely To… Voting Edition has 250 prompt cards to cast your vote on who in the group is most likely to… talk about famous people like they know them, be a cool old person, or have designer sheets. Cast your votes in secret – you do NOT want to be named.
- Apples to Apples – The wild card and party game that provides instant fun for 4 to 10 players! Just open the box, deal the cards and you’re ready to play! Select the card from your hand that you think is best described by a card played by the judge. If the judge picks your card, you win that round.
- Twister Ultimate – Get moving with the Twister Ultimate game! It’s the on-the-floor party game where the spinner indicates which moves to make next. The classic Twister spots and laugh-out-loud action will have you and your friends tangled up in fun in no time.
3 Games using stuff around the house
When you just aren’t in the mood for games, why not try an activity or sport. Here are three favorite game night ideas.
Indoor hopscotch: Do you have some masking tape, electrical tape, or any kind of tape laying around the house? Create a hopscotch game on the floor and play hopscotch. Come up with your own rules. You don’t always need a hopscotch, you can use anything around your house that is small and heavy like a piece of wood, or even a coin.
Indoor bowling: Do you have plastic bottles in the recycle bin? Maybe you have some soda in the refrigerator. Take them out and make it a party by drinking the cans or bottles. Then set them up and knock them over with a ball. Make up your own rules.
Balloon Tennis: Ever wonder how you can play tennis inside? You sure can with balloon tennis. Simply blow up some balloons. If you want to make it more official, get some tennis rackets (even better and safer, you can make your own) Then split up into two or more teams and start hitting them back and forth. With family game night, you can keep score, or just make up some fun rules. Who knows, this may be your most memorable family game night yet.
GET FREE ACCESS TO OUR LIBRARY OF FREE PRINTABLES AND RESOURCES!
Enter Your Name and Email for FREE Access to our Library of FREE Home and Family Printables Series!